Being a marketing (and perhaps business) all rounder, Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is just one of the bullet points of things that ‘need doing’ from a marketing perspective. It is however, an area which I find difficult to ‘keep up with’. Technology is challenging. Well, I think so anyway
Over the past six months, I have made it a priority for Next Marketing and a number of other clients to get more SEO organised. We have started with the basics and are slowly moving up.
If you are also thinking or trying to get more SEO organised – here is what we have done so far in the Next Marketing world.
On site SEO
This is a fancy way of saying getting your own website in order from a SEO perspective. To do this, these are the sorts of activities to undertake -
- Redirects – ensuring that when a user types into your domain name with and without the ‘www’ that they end up at the same place. For example, http://nextmarketing.com.au/ redirects to http://www.nextmarketing.com.au/
- Page titles – adding keywords to this area (this is what you see at the top of your browser)
- Meta Description – the information that is displayed in google search results
- Keywords – adding words that are relevant to each page
- Use of H1, H2 & H3 – this is a technical coding term for letting google know page title, sub headings and heading
- Site maps – which help google find content in your website
- Image alt tags – keywords that are linked to images that appear on a page
This is the tricky part and more complicated part of SEO which is really for us, part B Off site SEO involves other or third parties therefore is less in your control and perhaps is the reason why google likes it so much! To do some off site SEO – here are the sorts of activities to undertake -
- Back links – which is a human way of people linking to your website. In a human context, it’s equilivant to having lots of friends/being popular.
- Social Media interaction – google really does love social media interaction, so if you blog, tweet or status update about your area of expertise/most sought after keyword, google will be very happy!
- Visits – this is a catch – the more traffic that visits your site, the more traffic google is likely to send there. View this as ‘work in progress’.
Even though we have made some great progress, there is always more to do and refine
What are your SEO tips?