When it comes to successful sales strategy, making initial contact is only the first step. Whether or not your lead becomes a customer largely depends on what you do next. Following up should be an essential part of your marketing strategy and one that you should plan out before you even begin.
As a useful guide, people are more likely to respond positively when you are offering them something of value or making a connection with them on a more personal level.
Here are my top 10 marketing follow up suggestions:
- Offer a free consultation.
- Invite them to a networking event or webinar, either a public event or your own. Not only does this provide benefits for them, it helps to cement you in their minds as an expert in your field.
- Send congratulations when appropriate, whether it is for a personal or business matter. Demonstrating that you are interested in someone always makes a positive impression.
- Invite them to social event, possibly a golf day or end of financial year drinks.
- Send them a link to a relevant news event or send a hard copy in the mail.
- Ask for participation in a case study (for a current client).
- Send a case study of interest to a prospective client.
- Send a personalised copy of a company newsletter or new product information.
- Shout morning tea for no reason.
- Deliver something in person that gives you the chance to make face-to-face contact and chat with them.
If you are serious about expanding your business, it is not enough to make an initial meeting with a prospective client. Keep the momentum going and make sure they remember you, by finding a creative and innovative way to follow up. Why don’t you try one of the above with your next lead and see what happens?