Social Media: Hype or The Key to New Opportunities?
Social media has been much hyped over the past few years as a business marketing tool, but does it really live up to all the claims?
If you are considering using social media to promote your business, or if you are already active on social media but aren’t sure you’re going about it the right way, you may have doubts as to its overall effectiveness.
Whatever your level of experience it’s important to be aware that social media marketing is not a quick fix marketing solution. It’s a long haul process and it can take weeks or even months before you start seeing any solid benefits. Once you do gain momentum on social media, the results are usually well worth the effort but the rewards often come in less obvious ways than you would see from other forms of marketing.
Here are some of the opportunities that social media marketing can bring you, so you can decide for yourself if it’s worth your time and hard work.
- More exposure for your brand. It can take repeated exposure to your brand before a prospect will become a customer and social media gives you a great way to expose potential customers to your business on an ongoing basis.
- Increased website traffic. Social media is a great way to promote your website content and blog and can bring you a big increase in traffic which you can then use to convert to email subscribers or directly to customers.
- Build a community. A strong engaged community can be your business’ best asset and a great way to build your business, get word of mouth referrals and improve your existing relationships with customers.
- Raise your profile in your industry. The more people are exposed to your business via social media the bigger your level of influence becomes. This in turn can lead to some amazing opportunities including media interviews, new leads, customers and partnerships with other influencers or organisations in your industry.
- Establish yourself as a valuable resource in your industry. Social media can help position you as the go-to person for any questions or problems and this in turn helps build trust with your target audience which will eventually lead to them buying from you.
- Gain a competitive advantage. If your competitors don’t have a presence on social media, or even if they do but aren’t doing a very good job of it, you can gain a significant competitive advantage over them. Social media lets you stand out from the crowd and get attention that you might not be able to get any other way.
As you can see there are plenty of benefits to be gained from social media marketing but not all of them will translate directly into measurable sales or profit. If you’re considering marketing yourself on social media but you aren’t sure whether it’s worth your while, you can always give it a try and see what happens.
If you are already marketing yourself over social media and are not sure whether it’s really benefiting your business, think carefully before you give up. It could be working better than you realise.