5 Must-Follow Metrics to Measure your Instagram Success
Measuring the results of your social media marketing strategy is essential if you’re going to get a clear picture of where you’re at and improve in the future. Without a clear understanding of your social media marketing strengths and weaknesses, it’s going to be extremely difficult to grow your social media presence on an ongoing basis.
While most other social media platforms have their analytics built in, Instagram doesn’t really have a lot in the way of inbuilt measuring tools. Recently, with Instagram Business, brands are gaining access to more analytics tools but for most, measuring Instagram success will mean finding a third party analytics platform to use.
So what are the most important Instagram metrics to measure? Here are the top five Instagram numbers your brand should be crunching on a regular basis:
- Growth of followers. While it’s easy to assume that the number of followers is the most important metric on Instagram, in reality, follower number alone is fairly meaningless. What is more important, though, is whether your followers are growing. A strong growth in number of followers indicates that your Instagram marketing strategy is hitting the mark. Similarly, a decline in growth or a loss of followers is a big red flag that you’re doing something wrong.
- Post engagement. When it comes to getting results from your Instagram strategy, it’s all about engagement. This means you need to keep an eye on how many comments and shares your posts are getting. It doesn’t matter how many followers you have, if they are not engaging with your content by commenting and sharing it, this is a sign they are not really interested and you need to rethink your content (or you’re targeting the wrong followers).
- Hashtag engagement. Hashtags are crucial to the success of your Instagram marketing, but how do you know which ones to use? Trial and error plays a large part in the success of your hashtags. This is where tracking them comes in handy as you can build up a picture over time of which hashtags are going to perform the best for you. Once you start to get an idea of the hashtags that work best for your brand, you can hone in on them and use them more frequently while avoiding the ones that don’t get you any engagement.
- Website traffic from Instagram. If you are like most savvy Instagram brands you will have a link to your website in your link or bio. Tracking the return on investment (ROI) for your social media marketing can be difficult but if you can monitor the number of website visitors you get as a result of your Instagram posts and profile, you can start to get a measurable figure that will tell you how much your social media marketing is bringing you in terms of leads and new customers.
- Competitor data. Because Instagram has everything out there on display, it’s easy to measure your competitors’ data as well as your own. By looking at how much engagement your competitors are getting, along with their frequency of posting, content types and follower growth you can build up a good picture of how you are tracking in comparison and adjust your own strategy accordingly.
If you are serious about being successful on Instagram, you will need to get into the habit of tracking your results on a regular basis. It’s not enough to just look at follower numbers or comments. Only by looking at a range of different metrics will you be able to build up a true and accurate picture of your brand’s performance and determine any areas of weakness.
Brands who take the time to measure the most important metrics are generally going to be more successful with their Instagram marketing strategy and unlock the full potential of Instagram as a tool for marketing and growth. If you haven’t already, take the time now to start gathering data on these five crucial metrics and you can transform your social media presence and grow your Instagram following faster than ever before.